TheBanyanTree: Musings on a day of national humility

Indiglow indiglow at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jan 29 19:45:12 PST 2013

Robin,
  I so understand what you are saying, and as an American, empathize, as there are "Americans" who still seem to ask, "What can't everyone in the world be just like us, because we are the best?" And, who sport that self-centeredness as a matter of pride.
  Still, I am beginning to see small signs of an emerging "Spirit of Love" (and isn't this what God is, after all?  Not an old man with a white beard pointing a finger, but a spirit of love, peace, patience, kindness etc.?)  FB posts tell of coffee shops in Venice, Italy boast a "wall" where folks come in and order and pay for 3 cups of coffee, one for the wall, and are served their two cups of coffee - and when the less privileged come in, they ask for a cup of coffee "from the wall", and are served with the same dignity and respect as their more well-to-do counterparts.  Local high schools boast stories where the "homecoming queen" honor is given (by fellow students) to a Down's Syndrome young woman so that she can experience the joy of that honor.  In a copycat, all the popular guys at a school several states away agreed that if any was elected homecoming king, they would defer the honor to a mentally challenged young man at their school who was
 a "friend to all."  Here in Woodburn, Or, a community of 20,000 people, last Easter season gathered sufficient contribution to (when money was split according to instructions) build 2 wells in Kenya - sufficient to serve 20,000 people with clean drinking water so children did not have to skip school to travel to infested rivers to collect water enough for survival, and also sufficient to provide 20,000 meals from the local food bank.  Some of the contributions were as small as 17c - but oh, how many were affected and responded?  Time and again, stories crop up where love reigns, and these stories of generosity, sharing, recognition that "we are all in this together" give me hope.
Peace and blessings,
Jana