TheBanyanTree: The edge of the inferno

Peter Macinnis petermacinnis at ozemail.com.au
Sat Jan 12 03:32:11 PST 2013

On 12/01/2013 18:11, Janice Money wrote:
> For a moment there I thought Peter might have been talking about property
> owners being allowed to carry out cool weather burn offs to reduce the fuel
> loads on their farms and along the road sides.  Now I'm not so sure.

I'm not so sure about property owners doing their own clearing, but the
land managed much better under firestick farming, over many thousands of
years.  Fuel reduction in some form is absolutely essential as a first
step, but with smaller properties at least, it needs to be done on a
larger scale than single properties.

The point is that we need mosaic burning as much as control lines: small
fires let the wild animals escape, and it maintains habitats, because
our plants all have ways of regenerating after fire.  The biggest need,
though, is for better engineering.

In danger areas, you need sprinklers on the outside, using shielded
pumps and water supplies, steel shutters to hold off the radiant heat,
and a great deal more.  I have a cousin who has a house on an exposed
point at Wentworth Falls (Blue Mountains, Australia), and I have looked
over their system.  So, incidentally, have enough of the neighbours and
local Rural Fire Service people for the good engineering ideas to be
known, and for others to set the system running at a time of need.

Not every place needs the cousins' level of protection, but some homes
do.  It's science, technology and engineering.  With just a touch of
architecture.

peter