TheBanyanTree: A Life Lived Online

Linda DeMerle Twigllet at gmail.com
Tue Dec 3 17:50:03 PST 2013

Don't know that you can figure out God, otherwise, why need God?  The name kinda commits God to a higher place, or at least implies it.

I liked your story, Jim, and I have had similar moments…been the recipient of a miracle or two, so said my Boston doctors.  It happens.  I think where I am, now, is that the older I get, the more I realize how little I know and I feel that if I can figure God out, then he isn't much of one, and then there is the question of faith.  If you have it all figured out, where is the need for faith and without faith, things can get pretty damned dark.

I'm the first to say that just because I think something doesn't make it right, which is why I was a flop in the evangelical and Pentecostal churches.  Much less pressure when I returned to Catholicism.  It's more than okay to be unsure and nobody hands you your a**.

By the way, I'm guessing you have figured out that there are a lot of people who refer to themselves as Catholics because their parents or grandparents were, but whom do not actually practice any faith. Their kind of like Junior Mints…a candy coating and not much else.  Having said that, I LOOOOVE Junior Mints.  :)

Yeah, don't we all fall short?  Part of the job description: human.