TheBanyanTree: rowing

Teague, Julie Anna jateague at indiana.edu
Mon Sep 10 12:15:48 PDT 2012

Quoting Peter Macinnis <petermacinnis at ozemail.com.au>:

> On 8/09/2012 04:48, Mike Pingleton wrote:
>> Love it, Jules.  Crane, obviously, actually spent time in an open boat.
>
> "Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing--absolute
> nothing--half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats..."
>
> peter

contrast that with another quote from 'The Open Boat, a story based on
crane's true life adventure of surviving a ship wreck in a small dingy
out on the ocean, rowing to save their lives for days on end: "The
correspondent wondered ingenuously how in the name of all that was sane
could there be people who thought it amusing to row a boat. it was not
an amusement; it was a diabolical punishment, and even a genius of
mental abberrations could ever conclude that it was anything but a
horror to the muscles and a crime against the back."

i am rediscovering stephen crane and appreciating his writing so much
mire than i did in junior high! the open boat is a beautifully written
story.

julie