TheBanyanTree: You can't bury a cow here

A. Christopher Hammon chris at oates.org
Sun Sep 9 07:30:32 PDT 2012

On 9/9/2012 12:36 AM, Monique Colver wrote:
> Humor is so subjective. People used to think I was funny. Then I wrote this
> damn book.
This is great Monique. I've also discovered that humor also depends some
on context. On more than one occasion recently people have failed to
appreciate my reframing what might seem like a crisis by commenting,
"I'd worry about that, too, but I have cancer."

One of my favorite context matters incidents occurred when I was in
college more than a few decades ago. I had been invited to speak at a
state conference. As a philosophy major, I had been asked to speak on
the topic of the meaning of life. I was introduced and the house lights
dimmed. "Man," I said in this pre-gender sensitive era and paused -- the
pregnant pause I've developed a reputation for. I meant to continue,
"Man is a living organism," but I promptly and boldly proclaimed that,
"Man is a living orgasm!"

In many contexts, that probably just gets a laugh. But this was the
early 1970s and it was a Southern Baptist conference. The stunned
silence was deafening.

Made for a fun story to tell over and over through the years, though.
And they still gave me a scholarship to one of their seminaries. 8-)

Have fun,
Chris/

/