TheBanyanTree: You can't bury a cow here

Peter Macinnis petermacinnis at ozemail.com.au
Wed Sep 5 17:18:42 PDT 2012

We have just been in Tasmania, once called Van Diemen's Land.  The name
changed because VDL was inextricably linked to the island's convict
past: the worst convicts from here tended to be sent there, and the
Vandemonians were the terror of the Australian goldfields. The "Sydney
Ducks" who caused Californians to develop the "kangaroo court" were
probably mainly Vandemonians, I suspect.

It is the triangular island, south of Australia, and we made a flying
10-day visit, hitting the MONA art gallery, a drive to the west and a
trip up the Gordon River, a visit to a former convict shipyard, a
travail through flying snow, which we dodged, and we walked up a few
mountains of a smallish kind.

But the break is over.  Now I must dig into the mystery of Mr. Walker,
who in 1830, converted his steam flour mill in Launceston (northern
Tasmania) to a water mill.  I suspect it was a matter of being able to
order free convict labour to dangle from ropes and drill holes and fit
brackets for a flume on the sides of a rocky gorge, along with abundant
water and high prices for fuel.

I had made notes about Mr. Walker's steam mill before I went south to
Tasmania, but did not connect what is now called "Ritchie's mill" with
Walker's — it turns out Ritchie only bought the mill in 1876.  I had
been working on old records and had not caught up with Ritchie, so
failed to ask a few key questions while I was there.  No matter, I can
dig from here.

This discovery of the Walker link, made yesterday, is turning the steam
book (a work of technological history for Year 5, part of a series)
interestingly on its head, because in the period from about 1820, most
people were modernising and getting out of bullock-driven or
water-driven mills into steam, but it was never a foregone conclusion.
In Tasmania, where most of the electricity is hydro-electric, the swap
is less than surprising.

Most of Australia is light-on for water at times, but Tasmania is
usually rainy.  We found it odd that so many paddocks (fields) had huge
irrigation rigs in them, giant rolling hose systems looming over lush
high grass, but it seems that until a year or so back, the state was
trapped in a ten-year drought.  We listened to a bit of 'The Country
Hour' while trying to catch a news broadcast and weather forecast the
other day.  So it was that we heard a farmer from the north-west
discussing the effects of excess rain in the island's top left corner.

The cows, he said, are all getting mastitis and/or fungal hoof diseases,
but when a cow dies, he complained, you can't bury it: as soon as you
dig a hole in the water-logged ground, the hole fills with water.

This has become a family saying (we travelled with three cousins): "This
is dry country: you could bury three cows here, no worries", or "You
couldn't bury a cow here, but you might just be able to dispose of a
budgie, if you worked fast..."

Small things amuse small minds: one has to work hard to be amused by the
burial of cows.

--
Peter Macinnis, word herder & science gossip,
William McGonagall Fellow in scansion adjustment, University