TheBanyanTree: Of Authors, Writing and other things; Warning - lengthy

Jim Miller jim at maze.cc
Wed Nov 21 23:50:02 PST 2012

Thank you to everyone for the encouragement and ideas.

I'd like to address a perception I created which could be, and likely was
misunderstood. I stated that I've had my ego stroked; I'd like to make some
money. It is very easy to assume that certain writing products are all
about the ego. While my statement was poorly written, the intent was to
persuade you that my desire to write, and especially to to be entertaining.
It is not a search for praise. I am a hard core capitalist. To me,
acceptance is judged and measured by the market place. Writing purely for
money holds no interest. Writing is about voice and purpose. How can I use
my voice to positively influence another person. The further my voice
carries, (number of books sold) the more people I may influence. I
appreciate Peter's thoughts there.

Each of us has a story. When we use our words to tell a story, we will
influence others. If I make my purpose to positively influence, eventually
someone will take those words to affect a change in their life. I'm always
surprised when someone tells me that I inspire them. I watch Linda in her
business and have regularly observed past clients coming to her after as
long as twenty years. They will often start with, "you probably don't
remember when you told me", and end with "it changed our/my life". We never
know who is watching or listening, but people everywhere are crying out. My
primary consuming purpose is that I influenced someone to help themselves,
and just maybe pay-it-forward.

Peter, thank you for commenting on the craft tips. those were each
fundamental and important. And yes, good editing is critical. I am brutally
aware of edit and edit again each time I re-read what I post after it's
already disappeared into the ether. I good story with plenty of curious
interest or heart tug can go a long way, but I can never understand how
anyone would choose to put poorly written junk out for the world to see and
judge.

Before I go, a private word to Monique, your writing is wonderful and
funny, and your stories pull us inside. I will read anything you write and
recommend them to all who will listen. Please don't underestimate your
talent.

Jim