TheBanyanTree: Prairie Dog Friends

Anita Coia anita at redpepper.net.au
Sun Jul 15 01:51:37 PDT 2012

Oh Monique, I laughed and cringed alternately while reading this.  I have
prairie dog friends who sometimes irritate me by popping up their heads then
not responding to my enthusiastic responses, but at the same time I am one
of them!  I get busy and keep thinking "I must get in touch with so and so",
and before you know it two or more years has gone past before I get around
to it.  Then there is an email correspondence, a phone call, a catch up, a
promise to not let it go so long before doing it again...and the cycle
starts again.

In between I make new friends based on my circumstances and sometimes I
think "I can't afford to make new friends, I can barely stay in touch with
the old ones!" but it happens anyway.

I have to admit, this is one of the reasons I love Facebook (I know not
everyone does).  I can keep track of what people are doing, how their kids
are doing, how their hairstyles change, where they go on holidays, what
they're reading, so when we finally do catch up I'm at least not too far
behind in what I know.   They can do the same with me.  We can easily drop
each other a line to say "Hey, thinking of you, reading about what you're
doing, hope everything is okay."

It's not as good as the real thing but with a young child, a step-teenager,
a baby on the way, back to work at some point, geographically a lot further
away from people than I used to be, and the boring stuff about life
(shopping, cooking, cleaning) I just don't see what else I can do. Apart
from rounding up all my friends and forcing them to come and live with me.
:)

Anita

Message: 1