TheBanyanTree: My Sestina

Indiglow indiglow at sbcglobal.net
Thu Feb 23 17:02:24 PST 2012

Ooooh, your definition/description is sooooo much more relaxed and gentle than ones I saw (which required rhythm etc.)...  I like it!  Sending one of mine from many, many years ago - with the tighter parameters - imperfect though it might be.

Future's Steward

Nebuchadnezzar called the young man "Captive;"
chosen from the slaves to be his steward,
respected for his courage and his wisdom,
with rulers of the kingdom he found favor;
Unbowing to the will of human judges,
the counsel of the Lord sufficed for Daniel.
Ascetic amid kingly splendor, Daniel
would not let his spirit be man's captive.
Yet, when Babylon's wise men and her judges
failed their king, he called upon his steward,
charging, "If you wish to find my favor,
explain dreams unexplained by men of wisdom."
He told that Babylon would fall, for wisdom
and the strength of faith were gifts to Daniel.
The Medes as well held Daniel in their favor,
until King Darius became his own law's captive.
He cursed the condemnation of his steward
until daybreak fed the lions with his judges.
The very name says none but God are judges,
and like your namesake, Daniel, you have wisdom.
We prepare you boldly as the steward
of the future.  Know your power, Daniel.
You, like the prophet, are your wisdom's captive;
you are charged to find that wisdom's favor.
Now, as a child, you're looked upon with favor;
you do not bow to your parental judges;
All within your world are willing captive
to you, as your ageless toddler wisdom
shows the promise and the strength of Daniel.
Your family is your humble, hopeful steward.
Learn what it means for you to be a steward;
do not seek the crowd's inconstant favor;
search for peace, and for the grace of Daniel;
heed not those who set themselves as judges;
seek a higher counsel for your wisdom;
secure within yourself, make truth your captive.
You are no man's captive, all men's steward;
within your wisdom you will find man's favor
and walk with judges.  Carry love, my Daniel.
1982

Peace,
Jana