TheBanyanTree: When I read

Monique Colver monique.colver at gmail.com
Sat Feb 18 11:28:49 PST 2012

You did fabulously well Dave. And for the record, we all spew gobbledygook
-- I myself am quite accomplished in this. Speaking to a group is one of
the most feared of activities for a reason -- because it's damn scary.
There was a time I couldn't do it, but I knew I had to fix it. I haven't
been keeping up with it, but I need to get used to it again.

The first time I did stand-up Stew was with me. Or was it the second time?
I don't remember, but it was his first time, and by the time we got to the
club he was sort of a wreck. He'd been slowly crumbling anyway, the mental
illness beginning to take hold of him and entwine its spiny tentacles into
his mind, making him so unsure of himself he had trouble getting through
the day.

"It'll be fine," I told him, "It'll be five minutes, and then you'll be
done."

So much for my pep talk. He then refused to get out of the car. He was
shaky, and nervous, and said he just couldn't do it, there was no way he
could get on that stage.

"It's okay then," I said, "You don't have to. Just come in with me, because
I'm going to. But you don't have to if you don't want to. You could even
stay here, if you really want to."

That was my strategy back then. Tell him what I wanted him to do (come
inside), but then give him an out, because no matter how I tried, I
couldn't tell how much terror he was feeling at any given time. At first he
didn't want to go inside at all, he didn't want to be in there where there
were, gasp!, people, and we sat in the car for a long time and talked.

And when I went in, he came with me.

He was much more relaxed, knowing he didn't have to go up and do his bit.
He could just sit in the audience and watch, be one of the faceless. That
suited him.

When I got up on stage for my five minutes I couldn't see a thing. You
really can't see people at all, because the lights are all on you, and in
front of you is a sea of black space, with the occasional sound from the
audience, maybe someone shifting in their seat, or saying something to
someone else, and that's the only way you know there are people out there.

And if you don't make them laugh, the silence will continue, and five
minutes will seem like an eternity, nothing but silence while you talk at
the blackness.

So I started, and as I went along it got easier because people laughed. I
need feedback for my performances, whether written or on stage, or I stop.
I'm not entertaining to myself, and by myself I'll stop because there's no
point. But give me some feedback, and I'll continue, hungry for more of it.
I love attention.

After my five or ten minutes I sat down in the audience again, happy to
have that over because even though it was a lot of fun, more than I'd
expected, it was still an effort.

And then Stew said to me, "I think I'm going to go up after all."

And so he did. He went up and he stood at the microphone and he did his
bit. He was funny, and people laughed, and he sat down feeling as if he'd
conquered the world.

It wasn't the entire world at all, of course, and the illness would
continue bearing down on him more and more until he felt he couldn't go on
anymore, but for that moment, he had conquered his fears. His oncoming
illness was laid aside for a few minutes, long enough for him to take a
breath and know that he could do whatever he wanted.

Sometimes we have to jump out of our comfort zone even knowing we're
jumping right into a frightening world where everything can go wrong, but
that's how I define success -- making that effort, despite our fear.

Monique Colver