TheBanyanTree: From Queen Honey to Word Games

Julie Anna Teague jateague at indiana.edu
Mon Feb 6 05:51:21 PST 2012

Quoting Jena <eudora45 at sbcglobal.net>:

>>> I don't play Words with Friends anymore. Despite my vast vocabulary, I kept
>>> losing to people who should not have been winning. In whose opinion? Well,
>>> mine of course!

Ha!  Losing doesn't bother me, actually.  Good thing, because I lose
regularly and I don't think I've ever beat Pam!  But the thing that
bugs me most about Words with Friends (and I do still play it) is that
I consider it "Scrabble for cheaters".  Because in real scrabble, you
play your word, and if someone challenges you and you look it up and
it's not a real word, then you have to take it off and lose your turn.
In Words with Friends, you find out it's not a real word and you get to
try again and again and again.  You can try anything you want until it
takes. That's cheating!!!

I got a Words with Friends request this weekend from a person I knew
when we were kids, and haven't seen since.  I sent him a message that
said, "I think the last game we played together was wiffle ball up on
the corner in Otwell when we were 10!"