TheBanyanTree: Ambiguity

spoonoid spoonoid at bellsouth.net
Mon Feb 13 04:34:58 PST 2012

We are sore afflicted by injustice in the modern world. Why can't we all just be
nice to each other and  get along?

In order to understand life in the big bad world, one needs to cultivate a
tolerance for ambiguity. We can work toward world peace, but the inertia of
ideas held by the unenlightened masses makes our task enormous. So we need to
accept the fact that we cannot change things overnight.

We need to realize that many adults who live on one side of a border believe
that the people on the other side have no justification to exist and must be
eliminated. This cultural bias is instilled in the  children who accept the
beliefs of their parents. The underlying motivation of their culture is to
maintain the power of the true believers in their society. This is the elephant
in the room that many of us seem to ignore.

To get the big picture of life on our planet we can look at two extremes of
human behavior, which I like to identify as Anarchy and Liberty. I know that
these are loaded words that carry a lot of baggage for each individual who
encounters them, so allow me to define them for the purposes of this essay.

Anarchy is the way of animals, the complete lack of government or rules of
behavior, because there is no one around to enforce rules. Anarchy means that
behavior is governed by the law of the jungle, where the rules are: kill or be
killed, eat or be eaten. Anarchy leads to survival of the fittest, and natural
selection at its finest, where might-makes- right, the ends justify the means,
and violence is the answer to every question. Under anarchy you do whatever you
think you can get away with. Watch any National Geographic show about animals
and observe the creatures' behavior. You will see anarchy in action. When the
humans with their bigger brains came along, and took over the world from
animals, the depravities of anarchy were amplified.

Liberty, on the other hand, is a product of rational human thought, where people
have discovered that a group of two or more individuals, cooperating and working
together, can accomplish much more than any individual working alone. The two
fundamental rules of behavior for humanity, and thus the foundations of
civilization, were discovered early in the murky history of mankind, and were
codified in the writings of various religions. The first rule prohibits killing
a fellow human being. The second prohibits stealing another human's property.
Note that the first rule is the foundation of the right to life, while the
second implies a right to own property.

If a human has a right to life, one would also conclude that said human has a
right to self-defense, in order to preserve his own life. So an ambiguity arises
where a man may be justified in killing another human if he does so in
self-defense. The ambiguity is resolved when the human is prohibited from
initiating violence against another, which permits limited violence in defense
against violence.

Now in order for the human to continue living he must go out into his
environment to find food and shelter for survival, and a mate to propagate his
species. To be successful he must compete against other humans for limited
resources. But he finds that by working every day he creates new wealth that was
not there the day before. Unlike the animals, the man creates buildings, roads,
churches, universities, spacecraft and cell phones. As time advances, the humans
blanket the planet with cities and nations, and an accumulation of wealth that
grows with every generation.

Another feature that humans share with animals is the need to compete against
others for survival in their  environment (ecology).  But note that the humans
have the ability, if they wish to use it , to respect the human rights of their
fellow man while competing for survival in their common society. You probably do
this yourself in your everyday life, since you live in an advanced civilized
society. Most people reading this do not need to exercise violence against their
fellow man on a daily basis. Count your blessings.

While we cooperate with our families and friends, we discover we care about
other people, and wish to give them a helping hand when they stumble. Thus we
are compassionate and charitable towards others in our communities, and we are
grateful when we receive help from others.

Life is better now for you than it was for your parents, and they had it better
that your grandparents, who were more prosperous than your great grandparents,
etc. The world of today contains more wealth than it did in past times, and
however slow our progress is, humanity is better off than we were in previous
centuries. Would you really want to go back to simpler times? How about giving
up your cell phone? Flush toilets and indoor plumbing? Horses can be nice for
some folks to own, but I prefer to keep my car.  So look at the sweep of
history, and be optimistic when you realize your accumulated blessings.

If you feel you want to give back to your society, because you enjoy the wealth
that surrounds you, all you need to do is continue working at your job, and seek
to advance to a better job. Support yourself rather than depending on someone
else to support you. Pull your own weight, and don't forget to help your
brother. People are the assets of civilization, the ultimate resource. People
are the ones who do the work and create the wealth that benefits themselves and
provides an improving standard of living for everyone.

Make yourself an example of virtue for others to emulate. Those aggressive
people on the other side of the border can eventually realize that cooperation
serves civilization far better than continued inter-tribal warfare. Seek Liberty
and suppress Anarchy.

Later, John.