TheBanyanTree: Will Success Spoil Emma Watson ?

NancyIee at aol.com NancyIee at aol.com
Fri Sep 2 21:19:21 PDT 2011

And . .  .let her read up on the lives of such former child stars: Liz
Taylor, Michael  Jackson, Ron Howard, Judy Garland, Shirley Temple, Deanna
Durbin, the Nelson  boys, and all the like, some of whom went on to adult
successes, and some to  total ruin.  That she can learn from them. Some were
exploited, some were  robbed of any sort of normalcy as children, and fell into t
he fast-life trap,  and some achieved things greater than being a kid star.
She has the potential  for things beyond Harry Potter.

Will  Success Spoil Emma Watson?

I'm a little worried about young Emma  Watson. Back in the year 2000, at
the age
of ten, she won the Hollywood  Lottery and was cast as Hermione Granger in
the
first Harry Potter film.  How does a sweet, young, innocent actress survive
in
the decadent  environment of the actor's profession? One hopes she received
enough  parental oversight to guide her away from danger in that hazardous
business.

Her overnight success (which took some ten years to  achieve)  has led to
fame
and great wealth, so Miss Watson is now set  for life, whether or not she
accomplishes anything else. But the  advantages of money lead to the
temptations
of power, and a slide into the  realms of the Dark Lord.  Let us hope she
has the
strength of  character to appreciate the real lessons of  the Harry Potter
stories  and to resist corrupting influences.

Why am I worrying about  the welfare of this famous actress whom I will
never
meet? I care because  she's such a sweetheart, and we older guys have
protective
instincts  toward girls who remind us of our daughters and granddaughters.
It
would  be a terrible shame for such a talented and promising youngster to
be
sucked into the Hollywood whirlpool of  vice, drugs, sex, ruin and  despair.

When I saw the first Harry Potter movie, I was impressed by  the acting
skills
Emma brought to the role of Hermione. Her character is  smart, confident,
maybe a
little haughty, yet worried about her ability to  succeed in the demanding
academic environment of Hogwarts. I think she  pulled off the performance
brilliantly, and many of the professional film  critics agree. Where did
the
casting director find a youngster who could  handle such a role?

We can get a clue from her biography.* She was born  April 15, 1990, in
Paris.
She moved to England with her parents when she  was five, to grow up in
Oxfordshire. By the time she turned six, Emma  decided she wanted to get
into
acting. She studied at a Theatre Arts  facility in Oxford and showed
remarkable
talent. When the casting call  went out for Harry Potter, one of her
instructors
advised her to try out.  She was chosen.

Now, eleven years after her debut, she has  starred in all eight of the
Harry
Potter films, improving her craft with  each movie. In 2007 she accepted
the role
of  Pauline in the BBCs  production of  “Ballet Shoes.” I saw the film,
and felt
she did a  creditable job, although I'm not a fan of the genre. She did
receive
critical acclaim from the industry.

Lately we have seen  her on the cover of several women's magazines, so she
is
starting to make  an impression on the fashion world, as well as appearing
in
advertising  for several products in the glamor industry.

Her formal  education was interrupted  by her movie making obligations, so
she
couldn't participate in the usual classroom environment most students of
her age
receive. Instead, she was tutored on  the movie set for up to  five hours a
day.
At the end, she achieved outstanding grades on her  GCSEs.**

As of mid-2011, Miss Watson has completed several  semesters of study in
the
liberal arts at Brown University, and has kept  her grades up. The fact
that she
has chosen to go to college is a good  sign. Now that she is an adult and
is,
presumably, responsible for her own  decisions, let us wish that she
continues to
make the right choices to  advance her career and happiness, rather than
falling
back into the  insidious traps of Hollywood.

Will success spoil Emma Watson? I  certainly hope not, so I will be
watching her
career unfold, following her  progress with interest.

Check-back here every year or so for  updates on my analysis of  her
progress.

Later,  John.
September 2011

Nance