TheBanyanTree: Reading

Julie Anna Teague jateague at indiana.edu
Wed Oct 26 07:24:59 PDT 2011

Quoting smack58 at nycap.rr.com:

> Isn't it funny, even after all these years, when I read this poem I
> tear up...

I've probably told this story a hundred times.  Sorry.  Bear with me.
But it's sort of related, and every time I even think of it, I tear up.
  My son Andy had just gone off to first grade.  He came home one of
the first days of the school year and he had on some socks that I
instantly recognized.  I asked him, "Aren't those my socks?"  He said,
"Yes. When I wear your socks to school I don't miss you as much."  I
was just looking at him the other day, twenty-one years old, looking
quite the man these days, living with roommates instead of his mom,
getting ready to set off on some tough adventures, and I thought of him
wearing my socks to school in first grade because he missed me.
Sometimes my heart is not big enough for the flood of love and
connection and joy and concern I feel for my sons.