TheBanyanTree: learn something new every day

Julie Anna Teague jateague at indiana.edu
Tue Oct 25 10:33:39 PDT 2011

Quoting Laura <wolfljsh at gmail.com>:

> On Tue, Oct 25, 2011 at 11:59 AM, Julie Anna Teague
> <jateague at indiana.edu>wrote:
>
>>  I learned how to do something I love doing, better.
>

> How fun!  I love learning something new about something I love.  And now
> maybe you can run without so much soreness afterwards.  Always a benefit!

Less soreness and joint wear and tear is my ultimate goal.  I've read
so many articles about seventy year old runners, ninety year old
runners, even a one hundred year old guy who just finished a marathon.
I want to be one of those people!  I hope my grandkids can say,
"Grandma died with her running shoes on.  That's just how she would've
wanted it."  :)  Or maybe my hiking boots or my wetsuit or whatever it
is I'm into at that point in my life. :)

So, to follow up on the results of our first practice session--my
running buddy Tanya and I just went for our usual 4.2 mile Tuesday
lunch hour run.  Our goal today was to keep each other focused on the
new techniques (Tanya took the class with me).  Without trying too
hard, we finished the run nearly two minutes faster than our usual
time.  And neither of us feels exhausted or overly sore anywhere.  Part
of this is as a result, I think, of very mindful running.  When I stay
focused on my form, I have a better run that is less centered on how
tired I am or this problem or that problem.  I was one hundred percent
absorbed in the experience of running.  Part of this is also being
re-energized about running.  It's hard, sometimes, to maintain
excitement about doing it week after week after week, after a year of
running a lot of long races and dealing with the inevitable aches and
pains.  And lastly I think we went faster because I honestly think our
technique was much improved and we got more "run" out of our muscles
than we usually do.  We are tallying this run up as a total success.
Can't claim that every time, for sure.  I feel excited about running
again!

Julie

~O
<I~ love to run