TheBanyanTree: learn something new every day

Julie Anna Teague jateague at indiana.edu
Tue Oct 25 08:59:29 PDT 2011

I went to a natural running clinic last night.  The teacher was about
my son's age, maybe a year or two older.  He was so engaging and
knowledgable and had the most dynamic smile (with the cutest little
touch of bashfulness) that the whole group was instantly at ease and
having fun with it. (What a cute kid...oh to be 22 again..oh,
nevermind! ;)

You'd think that just being a human being would endow a person with the
instinct to run in the most efficient way.  On the contrary, most of us
are out there plodding and slapping and clumping around in ways that
will most cause us pain and injury.  Even though I've been a runner for
the better part of three and a half decades (with breaks for pain and
injury, go figure) I have never run in the most efficient or best way.
And I've never been to a clinic nor ever been coached to run better.  I
thought, really, how hard can it be.  Just RUN for crying out loud.
It's not like I had major performance goals.  I don't slap my feet
hard, and I do some things right just from reading and trying to focus
on what I'm doing. But I definitely spent too many years doing too many
things the wrong way and causing myself unnecessary pain.  Like heel
planting, which is to say I stab my heel into the ground with each
step, jarring my whole leg and causing my knee to attempt to keep
balance, something knee are not good at and are not designed to do.
Knees are meant to hinge, not rotate like a shoulder or an ankle or a
hip.  Not something I always do, and something I have been working on
in the past couple of years anyway, but something I've certainly done
my knee-banging share of.

We did all kinds of drills, focusing on landing on the forefoot then
touching the heel down, which engages the calves and Achilles tendon to
act as a spring, propelling the body forward with less energy.  Here's
the way the teacher illustrated this point.  Put your hand flat on your
chest and lift your pointer finger to thump your chest.  Not a lot of
power there.  You can't thump your chest very hard.  Now take your
other hand and pull that finger back, "loading" it like a spring, and
then let your pointer finger go.  You can really thump yourself.  Or
someone else, if you have someone you'd like to thump.  You get a lot
more energy.  It was an interesting analogy and sure made his point
more clear.

We talked about cadence, or the speed at which a runner picks her feet
up, pulls her knees up, and place them down again.  With the same
cadence, one can run in place, one can move ahead slowly, or one can
move ahead very quickly.  Try it, it works, even if it seems
counter-intuitive.  Same cadence, different speeds. Slowing the cadence
down is another way to move ahead more slowly, but a lot of energy is
lost in  side-to-side and up-and-down movement throughout the body.
This is not something one wants in distance running which takes a damn
good amount of energy anyway.  We did various drills to prove to
ourselves how this works.  I could read it a dozen times and not
understand the physics of the thing in a more integrated way until I
experienced the differences.

Instead of picking up the cadence, a runner could also move forward
more quickly by stretching out the stride length.  I always thought
that was what I should try to do if I wanted to go faster.  But all
kinds of bad things happen when you do that.  First, you heel plant.
Bad for the aforementioned reasons.  Second, your foot lands way out in
front of your center of gravity and then you body has to expend a lot
of energy rebalancing your whole body back over your foot to regain
your center of gravity before it can even think about forward motion.
Also bad.  If your foot lands within your center of gravity, all your
leg has to do is put energy into springing you forward into the next
step.  And all those leg muscles are built for that, for contracting
and then springing.  Spring spring spring!  Like mountain goats we were
in our drills!  I've got some kick-ass leg muscles, but I was never
using them to their advantage!

There were lots of other subtle changes we worked on--head position,
arm motion, whole body lean--and more very good analogies and
explanations for why the muscles do what they do and how they work most
efficiently.  It was one of the most productive classes I've ever
taken.  I learned how to do something I love doing, better.  Now to
practice instead of plodding!

Julie