TheBanyanTree: Riding together....

Sachet MountainWhisper at att.net
Sun Oct 23 08:51:27 PDT 2011

The first time we rode together, he thought I was the better rider.
Simply because I take turns faster and lean more. But, once I tipped
over on his super steep, twisty-turny gravel road (the motorcycle road
from hell, mind you), he knew that it was all a matter of perspective. I
*know* he's the better rider. He uses more common sense than I do and
has learned not to challenge me to a race, because as he says "Once I
hit 80, I know I better slow down because you'll ride your bike into the
ground before giving up." It's not intentional on my part.....I just get
caught up in the cascade of feelings - the speed, controlling all that
power, the compulsion to win and the pure downright, outright, joyous
fun of riding with someone who understands me so well.

He takes me by surprise when he does things like that. I'm not used to
being looked after, protected or my probable reactions anticipated and
considered to such a degree.

Sometimes we take turns with who takes the lead. He's learned to keep me
in sight in his mirrors at all times. I once informed him of the
recommended "rule" of checking your mirrors every 7 seconds and he
laughed at me. After losing sight of me twice and scaring himself to
death, he now checks his mirrors every 5-6 seconds. I know because I
counted when we rode today. <g>

The first time he lost sight of me was when we were riding on the Blue
Ridge Parkway and I had to go to the bathroom so badly, but I knew there
was no place coming up, so the woods were my only option. I could not
get his attention with honking or waving, so I gave up and pulled into
the next overlook and ran off into the woods, out of sight. A few
minutes later I heard his bike come rumbling up and him yelling out
asking me if I was ok. He said he about had a heart attack when he
looked for me and I was no where to be seen.

The next time I scared him was when we were riding down the highway and
I got tired of keeping pace behind him and swerved into the other lane
to ride beside him. He said that one minute I was there behind him and
the next time he looked I was gone. I noticed him letting up on the
throttle and his head turning from side to side trying to find me and
the look of relief and surprise on his face when he saw me beside him.
Evidently he cusses a lot more now, than he used to. Go figure. ;-)

He rides a Harley and I ride a Honda, so our bikes sound different. My
bike rumbles with a deep grumble that I find both soothing and
exhilarating. And when I first start it up, it purrs like a sleek
contented cat. His bike has a more metallic sound to it. It's a deep
bass, but somehow different than mine. When we are riding together, I've
noticed that I can create a resonance between the two bikes if I
maintain just the right distance between us. Too close and the sounds
are too intense & loud. Too far away and all I can hear is my bike. I
need to be close enough to hear his bike so that I can match his
movements more precisely. As I come up behind him and try to find that
sweet spot, it sounds like the bikes are arguing...until I move a little
closer and the resonating rhythm settles into place. I can feel it as
well as hear it.

We've developed our own sign language to use that is effortless now. He
warns me about gravel or other road hazards, turning (hand signals are
easier to see than lights), stopping, points of interest and my most
favorite is when we come to someplace I've never been and there is a
beautiful vista before us and he sweeps his arm above his head and stops
with his palm facing up, as if he's presenting me with a priceless gift.
It makes me smile every time, because he "gets" it - he sees beyond the
seven wonders of the world and knows that there are at least seven
million wondrous things for us to explore.

Riding the Cherohala Skyway together....
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.2296216679590.124045.1074294432&type=1&l=6adb3dc483