TheBanyanTree: The Equatorial Moon

Mike Pingleton pingleto at gmail.com
Thu May 12 12:40:08 PDT 2011

This past January I spent two weeks in northeastern Peru, about 2-3 degrees
south of the equator.  While I looked at the moon (including the full moon)
on a number of occasions during my time in the rainforest, I confess I
didn't notice any differences.  In a place where nearly everything was new
and strange and different, the moon was one of the few constant and familiar
objects in sight.  It could have been a disco ball up there, and I'm not
sure I would have noticed.

If I get a chance to go back, I will report my findings.
-Mike