TheBanyanTree: Today's blog post

Jena Norton eudora45 at sbcglobal.net
Wed Mar 2 14:55:17 PST 2011

Being retired means I have time to the morning news shows. Between Charlie
Sheen and Lindsay Lohan, there seems to be little else worth reporting. Not
economic meltdowns, not wars, not piracy, not natural disasters, etc. It's
all celebrity meltdown.

It brings to mind an old stupid joke I sort of remember: A man wants a job
with the railroad. He's asked how he would handle certain emergencies. He
successfully comes up with the answers to how he would handle runaway
trains, etc., until they ask him about two speeding freight trains on the
same track with no radios and the track switching equipment broken. He says
he would call his sister. When asked why, he replies she's always wanted to
see a train wreck.

I sort of feel that way about the attention given these very public
meltdowns. Why should either Charlie or Lindsay change? They're getting all
the attention they crave and the media is giving approval just by covering
their every utterance and appearance. And let's face it, many people would
love to see a train wreck firsthand.

The child of a friend who's self-destructing on drugs isn't in the
headlines, nor is the financial hardship he's brought to the family. Neither
is another friend's brother who doesn't have to take his meds now because
he's all better and they're not telling him to hurt himself anymore. No
interview there.

Monique, as always, you've given such insight into what's going on and
taught us all a bit more about the world of mental illness so we are more
aware and compassionate.

Thanks, friend.

Jena Norton