TheBanyanTree: On Writing

Julie Anna Teague jateague at indiana.edu
Tue Jun 14 11:19:57 PDT 2011

Quoting Monique Colver <monique.colver at gmail.com>:

> Inspiration.
>
> Waiting for it to strike is a bit like waiting for a chocolate cake to
> arrive at your doorstep, complete with a fork so you don't have to embarrass
> yourself by digging in with your hands. It may happen, but it's not likely,
> and meanwhile you've spent a lot of time waiting.

I forgot to add that this analogy works for running too, especially in
Indiana. I never thought to put it in terms of chocolate cake, but I
like that image.  If you wait for the perfect day to run--blue skies,
cool temp, low humidity, slept well, good energy--you won't get much
running in.  And the only way to be a runner is to run.  It's not fun
every single time, and I don't do it well every single time, but I keep
running.  And the more I run, the more likely it is that I'll have
those small personal victories that make me feel good, that allow me to
call myself a runner.