TheBanyanTree: solstice run

Julie Anna Teague jateague at indiana.edu
Tue Jun 21 10:48:37 PDT 2011

I don't mind sweating.  I actually like to work up a good sweat doing
something, either exercising or just gardening or carrying wood or
shoveling snow.  I don't like to sweat so much when I'm trying to stay
cool, or dressed up to go out, or if I'm in clothes that were not made
to sweat in, clothes that are itchy, binding, thick, or non-breathable.
There are fabrics to sweat in and there are fabrics worn only when
you can be assured of staying cool and dry. And since I rarely stay
cool and dry, or dress up, I buy a lot of my clothes at athletic wear
places, and about ninety-eight percent of my wardrobe consists of
breathable, wicking, non-binding, non-itching fabrics.

My running buddy, Tanya, and I ran on our lunch hour today and I have
to say that sweating went beyond what can be reasonably endured without
access to a shower.  We just have to do the best we can with a sink,
baby wipes, towels, and deodorant, put our work clothes back on, and go
sit next to our long-suffering office mates.  I'm sure this is
disgusting to some people, but we pretty much have the sink bath thing
down to a science because, as we are two extremely busy working
mothers, we have to get a run in when we can get it in, and the lunch
hour has worked for us for several years now.  We went at 11:30 and it
was sunny, 84 degrees and 82% humidity, heat index: 96 or something
crazy like that.  Not Texas hot but the humidity was brutal.  We got
our four-plus miles in and can feel all virtuous and healthy for the
day.  Red-faced, sweaty-haired, and a tad more crumpled than we started
out, but we did it.  Maybe I'll take my family out for ice cream
tonight to celebrate the solstice and getting in a good, stinking, hot
run.  It's summer, day one.  Woot.

Julie

We are no mere writer's support group; we are supporters who write. -- MB

Monique: http://moniquecolver.blogspot.com/
Wolfie: http://wolfsinger.wordpress.com/
Our Dee: http://cbg-dee.blogspot.com/
Amazon: http://remsset.com/amazon/