TheBanyanTree: on the hottest day

NancyIee at aol.com NancyIee at aol.com
Fri Jul 22 06:48:49 PDT 2011

Every day here is the hottest day.  A "cooling trend" on the weather
channel means we might see 89 instead of ninety-something. I once spent time in
Vegas in the Summer, and it was 107, the downtown streets had overhead
misters,  necessary for life.  But, it's not the heat, it's the humidity. How
often  had I heard that. Everyday it gets so hot it rains. And, the rain does
not cool,  but merely baste us, like basting hot gravy over overdone meat.
Every  thing I own is sweated the minute after I put it on. At night, the
bedlinens are  damp and hot. The A/C merely adds a chill breeze now and then.
At least  the lizards, bats,  and birds keep down the mosquitos. Still, as I
sit  here, sticking to sofa, downing another iced tea, I think of Winter's
up in the  northland, mountains of snow, sub zero temps for weeks on end,
and so cold you  can die going between garage and house.

I'll take the heat.

NancyLee

Off-year  cicadas chrrriii chrrriii in rounds,
>> a few hoarse crows  maybe,
>> flies buzzing,
>> hot car tires gumming over  melted asphalt pothole patches,
>> and that's it,
>> that's  all you hear on an afternoon like this one.
>> Not a limp leaf  brushes another,
>> not a dropped greasy sweet wrapper blows down the  street,
>> nor a single lost love note
>> loosed from it's  grip under a windshield wiper.
>> It's too hot for love.
>>  Everything sticks to something else
>> but it's not love.
>>  Everything waits