TheBanyanTree: Mental Illness Ain't No Picnic

Jena Norton eudora45 at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jan 11 09:29:47 PST 2011

The sheriff of Pima County was so vocal on this subject. And it surprised me
to hear a cop in a conservative area question the rhetoric in politics
today. I agree with Julie about the political climate today. It reminds me
of what I read about politics preceding the Civil War.

I own guns and was raised around them, but I have a problem with people who
think we should all carry guns everywhere. I found it ironic that one of the
heroes of Saturday was a young man who was carrying a concealed legal weapon
when he went running out to help when he heard the shots. He helped wrestle
the shooter to the ground and hold him until the police came.

It's all horrible, but the little girl that died is the one I think most of
us are focused on. I keep hoping this incident will cause many people to
reflect and think twice about what they say and how they say it. The nation
needs desperately to reflect on how to disagree without rancor and hatred.

Jena Norton