TheBanyanTree: Questions About Men

LaLinda twigllet at gmail.com
Mon Jan 31 02:24:18 PST 2011

Over the past ten years or so, I have been forced to acknowledge
patterns in the behaviors of some men.  Rather disconcerting, since
stereotyping seems lazy and uncharitable, though I do the same with
groups of people connected socially, as opposed to gender, such as
fundamentalists, where my experience leads me to conclude that perhaps
actually that becoming stereotypical may be an unintended result of the
call to conformity, which is another thing/k, altogether

So, here is the thing: In noting the behavior of my son in the past
couple of years, that of my husband, brothers, cousins, friends,
ex-spouses, parents (you will not that some of these people are not
paragons of anything good,) I see a pattern I can't well articulate.  I
have done internet searches, but without the proper terminology, the
results turning up are all about relationships with women and I am
thinking about relationships with people other than men's particular
women.  I'm thinking about men's relationships with other family
members: children, parents, etc.  The closest I could get, in a Google
search, was a line in an article which stated that men tend to be lazy
when it comes to relationships. I refer to it as "out of sight, out of
mind," which my daughter refutes because she says that even while she
lived in the same house as her father, he never told her about his
upcoming surgeries and medical procedures.

Specifically, what I see is a lack of interest in one's children, once
they are out of sight, moved out, whatever, as well as parents.  Just.
Couldn't. Care. Less.  There seems to be love there, or there once was,
but, unless the people in question are actually IN THE ROOM, they seem
to not be given a thought.

So, my question is...is this something peculiar to the men I know here
in the northeast, or...do others notice 9 out of 10 men disengaged from
family members, or even friends?  Are men solitary critters who are fine
not speaking to or seeing family members for years at a time?
Clarification: these are not necessarily troubled relationships, in
fact, only one of ten which immediately come to mind could be classified
as one.

Any thoughts?