TheBanyanTree: Tuesday

Russ Doden russ.doden at gmail.com
Tue Jan 25 14:53:27 PST 2011

Today is Tuesday and that means it is the day of a local networking group I
participate in called the Tulsa Think Tank.  It is a small group, but a
diverse one.  The alarm went off this morning, but I was already awake.  Not
awake in eager anticipation, just awake, thinking thoughts I share with
myself and All That Is.  Getting ready was a mechanical ritual today,
because I was lost in thought.  Not grim thoughts, but thoughts of
gratitude, thoughts of wonder and amazement, and thoughts of why do people
have so much hate and anger and fear in them when there is so much beauty,
abundance and wonder all about them.  And so my morning continued.
Mechanically going through the motions, but in my own world of thought.  I'm
realizing today is "different", not different like every day is different
from the one before, or the the one to follow, but . . . I'm different -
again.  I sat in the Think Tank group, really looking at each person there.
Most "should" have retired some time ago or "should" retire soon.  Instead,
I see people alive and vibrant and active.  I don't agree with all of them
by any means.  One is so conservative that he makes the Tea Party look
liberal and I'm fiercely independent.  Our "token female" is well into her
70's but still works helping others as a Naturopath - and looking at her I
see an "elf" or "fairy" - one of the fey, with sparkling eyes, insatiable
curiosity and joy in living.  Another is full of practical wisdom, but
doesn't want to be seen as such - because in his family, that is for the
"old ones" and he is "only" 67.  And so around the table I went, looking,
seeing, hearing, listening, "sensing".  I came home and the feelings of this
continue to be with me.  My inner conversation continues.  Not a
conversation of gloom and doom, but of wonder at all the potentialities that
are there for us.  I also realized - due to the "topic" (if you could call
that loose, wide ranging meeting today as having a topic) that nearly all my
friends, and those I care about, are anywhere from a few years to well over
30 years (and in a few cases 40 years) younger than I, and very few are
older.  This isn't a denial of my years or my mortality, but a realization
that years are a number, just a number.  Many are very old before reaching
60 and others are still young well into their 80's and 90's.  I realized
maybe I am becoming like my maternal grandfather.  I hope I am.  My most
vivid memory of him was when I last visited with him many years ago.  When
asked how he liked living in the care center where he was, his response was
"It's not so bad, except there's nothing but a bunch of old people here."
That's a paraphrase, but it is close to the wording.  The funny thing was,
the next younger person there was 10 years his junior - and no one there was
older.  His room was the nursing staff hang out, because "Charlie" was
always full of fun, and the radio was always tuned to the local "rock"
station instead of the "old folks" station most listened to.   So here I
sit, wishing it was warmer out - wanting to go for a long walk at Oxley
Nature Center, or just sit in a wooded area and listening to the plants,
rocks and water speaking to me.  Spring will come soon though, and I'll have
my time for walks then.

Russ
--
Take things one day at a time

--
Take things one day at a time
If that is too much, go 1 hour at a time