TheBanyanTree: the perfect peel

Julie Anna Teague jateague at indiana.edu
Tue Jan 25 08:32:14 PST 2011

I used to be amazed at the things my grandmother could do with her
hands.  Stick them in the hottest water.  Peel an apple with a regular
knife, keeping the entire peel intact in a long green spiral thin as a
leaf.  I'd ask her, every time we made pie together, to please try and
make it come off in one piece.  How do you do that, grandma!  How do
you peel toward your thumb and not cut your thumb?  How do you snap
beans that fast without even looking or leave that tiny neat hole where
the stem of the strawberry used to be?  I was the dish dryer and she
the dishwasher and I'd squeal at the hotness of the water that was
nothing to her as I reached in to grab the next plate.

Last night I thought about all these things as I deftly peeled an
apple, knife slipping just barely beneath its skin, until the entire
thing curled in the sink in a single piece.  I now realize that grandma
could do this, and I can do this, because like her, I've peeled
thousands of apples.  I've made thousands of pies, snapped more beans
than I can remember, washed thousands of plates and pans from thousands
of home cooked meals in water hot enough to make my sons cringe and cry
out.  My hands are starting to look like hers.  My fingers are getting
twisted, the veins on the backs of my hands pop out, and there are a
few scars because, like grandma, I've worked decades of gardens, fixed
hundreds of ripped seams and missing buttons, hung out endless lines of
laundry on an endless number of sunny days, cut towards my thumb and
missed a few times, and wrung my hands in caring over those I love.  I
realized, now, that the miracle of her hands was not the trick of
making that single perfect peel, but in all the purposeful and joyful
living that went into being able to tickle my amazement by doing it
perfectly for me.

Julie
In honor of the everyday presence of the spirit of my loving grandmother,
Myrtle Arla Lindsey Taylor, October 5th 1905 - February, 1993.