TheBanyanTree: Five Years

John spoonoid at bellsouth.net
Sun Feb 27 17:51:10 PST 2011

So, John, why don't you post messages on The Banyan Tree more often?

Well, I'd like to, but there's only a fixed number hours in the day.

If you're claiming to be a writer, you should put your work out there so your audience knows you're still alive.

I don't take the time to post things very often, but I have been writing almost every day for the past five years.

Oh, yeah? On like what, for instance?

My book.

Ha! And what book might that be?

"48 Hours to Chaos: An Engineer Looks at Life and How the World Really Works."

Are you kidding me? You're an engineer?

No kidding. I spent 30 years in the aerospace industry.

OK, Mr. Engineer, if you've been working on this book for five years, you ought to be about done.

As a matter of fact, it has been published.

So where is it?

Just stop by my website and have a look.

Well, before I do that, what's this book all about, and why would anyone want to read it?

I like to think it's a book that gives you a different perspective on life, and explains how to understand some of the mysteries that have been bugging folks for ages. Why do other people act in ways that seem illogical to you? Are humans really any different than animals? Why do we still have wars in our modern, enlightened era? What is the meaning of life? Why can't we all just be nice to each other and get along?

That sounds a little heavy, but it might be worthwhile if you reach some conclusions. Do you come up with all the answers?

No, but you can safely follow me along a clearly marked path through the minefields of science, economics, history, politics, philosophy, religion, psychology, government, and other forms of human behavior. At the end, you might not like what you have learned, but at least you can understand how it all fits together, and how the world really works.

OK, you've got me interested at least. But wait a minute. Has this been a story, or just another thinly veiled attempt at shameless commerce?

I think it reads like a story. I've talked about what I've been doing for the past five years, and anybody who might be offended has no obligation to click through to the website.

Hmmmm. I don't know if this is kosher. But then, that could be a story in itself. So where's this website?

www.johndwaterman.com