TheBanyanTree: Stone

NancyIee at aol.com NancyIee at aol.com
Sun Apr 24 03:58:16 PDT 2011

In a message dated 4/23/2011 4:31:06 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
MountainWhisper at att.net writes:

I do  enjoy
working with stone because I can touch the textures, see all  the
beautiful striations in the stone and the delightfully  immediate
gratification of seeing it all fall into  place.

I totally agree that working with stone takes patience, vision, and an eye
for gravity. Twice I built a waterfall, once in my first home, and then
when I  moved and took the "waterfall" to my second home.

I had a fish pond, with smaller ponds above it, the water falling from one
to the other down to the main large pond. A pump provided the lift for the
water  to reach the topmost pond. I installed the two smaller ponds, and
then created a  stone way, to guide the water down to the next ponds and
finally to the bottom  large one.

It was indeed a tricky feat of engineering, to guide the water in a
particular flow, without diverting it off. Each stone had to be just so, the
right tilt, the right size. It took a full week for it to look and work as
intended.  The water circulated, to bring oxygen to the fish in the large  pond,
as became sort of my therapy pool, to sit and watch when the days got too
complicated. The sight and sound of the falling water and swimming fish was
always a refreshing spot.

I am sure your project gave you as much pleasure.

NancyLee