TheBanyanTree: why I get turned off, and how I turn back on

NancyIee at aol.com NancyIee at aol.com
Tue Sep 14 05:14:54 PDT 2010

I, too,  believe church is wherever you want it to be. Mine is either in a
formal  setting with others, or in my back pasture, where miniature horses
run in the  morning fogs, or on a beach at sunset, when all is coral and
golden.
I believe many of us have gone here or there to churches, tried varying
"religions", and finding something there of value. Or not. I doubt very much
that God wanted us to "label" our beliefs, or to join in tight "clubs" with
rules and duties not really important in the scheme of things.

I have visited places where music and lipstick were sins. I have prayed in
churches with million-dollar domes and arches while the homeless slept in
the  alleys behind. I have sang and danced in tents where people shouted and
fell in  rapturous states, talked in tongues and found redemption. I have
sat on a park  bench and saw children play, and mothers watched, and squirrels
came to steal  bit of sandwiches. I have sat in my computer room and looked
out at the baby  Cardinals flicking through the pines on a gold afternoon.
And, found a bit of  God in each.

I now attend a church where everyone is accepted. Anyone is welcome at the
Communion table, and bi-racial couples, the disable and disfigured, the
gays,  the straights, the casual visitors, the seekers, those who have jobs,
and those  who have nothing can join for an hour or so on a Sunday morning. I
can wear  lipstick, I can sing, I can conform, or not, as I wish. I can be
myself.

It's a small, plain place. The money they glean built a food bank building
where people who have feed those who have not. They put on a funny play
from  time to time.  They send goods to Haiti. They go to New Orleans and
helped  those after Katrina.They speak Spanish for those who are not supposed to
be here  at all They visit homes and hospitals and hospices to comfort those
there. I  join in prayer for those who need it, because I, the skeptic,
have seen too many  miracles to believe otherwise.  No fanfare, no newspaper
articles. They do  it because they can.

I have been told by some that my attendance in such a church makes me a
sinner, for it is known that "sinners" are among us there.  Well, sinner I
am.  Church is not a building.  Church is not the congregation.
Church is not a preacher. Church is not the rules men set down to contain
us.

Church is in me, and I take my church wherever I go, whether it is my own
bit of land, the beach, the building where the choir sings and people pray .
.or  . . merely in my own heart.

Most of  the time, I just go on my own way, puttering in my garden and
thinking  about spiritual matters as I watch stuff grow.  Or hike in the
woods  or look at the sky or watch a bird or commune with my sons until
I'm  completely wonderstruck by it all.  I can appreciate a sense of
community.  I can appreciate the power of a hundred souls all
meditating on world peace in the same room.  But, bottom line, I can  do
without all the other bullshit, because I realize I have most of the
tools right here in my own heart to make some kind of path through this
crazy world.

mom