TheBanyanTree: My Martini Story...

Jena Norton eudora45 at sbcglobal.net
Tue Oct 26 08:47:27 PDT 2010

I too have a martini story or two.

Back in the day when I was not 21 but went out to dinner where liquor was served, I would order a martini and I never got carded. Typically, underage drinkers would order the frou-frou drinks and red flags would go up. And in the 1960s south, a martini was so sophisticated and chic, even if I wasn't!

I became 21 and branched out, even to the frou-frou drinks. Martinis gave way to rum drinks and wine. Until a few years ago, at a most unlikely event, when martinis once more came into my life.

Until I retired, I was active in the CA Teachers' Assn. (CTA) and was on our local executive board. We often went to local labor council events to show solidarity, etc. One of the best is the regional labor council dinner. The first time I went, the party favors were a martini shaker and martini glasses at every 2 settings, along with a shot glass, all with union logos and slogans. And you got a free shaker or martinis, above the drinks you bought tickets for. Watching plumbers, teamsters, and electricians foregoing beer and whiskey for martinis was interesting.

Many people didn't take their shakers and glasses, so I was able to snag a shaker and several glasses for myself. And then I started back with the martinis. Bombay Sapphire for me, too! And an occasional cosmo.

My other story involves my trip to Australia a couple of years ago. Woof's son, Muscle Mutt, and his love du jour, took us out to a flash Indian restaurant on Circle Queue. Not having had a martini yet, I ordered one, with 2 olives. It came in a shot glass with 2 black olives (with pits, yet!) and they had no Bombay Sapphire.

Tomolives sound interesting. I'll have to check them out!

Jena