TheBanyanTree: tired

Laura wolfljsh at gmail.com
Tue Oct 26 13:25:19 PDT 2010

I'm getting really tired of college.  This first semester at the new, wonderful, private college
has near-bout beat me to death.

Every first year student at this university has to take the University 1111 class.  They don't
care if you're transferring in as a last semester senior, you HAVE to take this class.

It's all to do with college life.  They've had seminars on sexual harassment, drugs and
alcohol abuse, domestic violence, how to use the library to study and research, how college
can make you a better person, blahblahblah.  This is fine, except all these seminars and
meetings are at 6:30 or 7:00 at night.  He is also in a technical theatre class, which has
requirements that he attend several shows, obviously, all of which are also in the evening -
duh.

His classes and work study are all done with by 3, or 3:30.  That means he either sits around
for three or four hours, or I drive an hour (round trip) to pick him up, then an hour back for
the meeting, then another hour back and forth to pick him up again.  It's only seven miles
one way, but it's right through the middle of town, with no way to get there that doesn't take
you through downtown traffic, so if you get there in 20 minutes, it's a frakkin' miracle.  I
suppose if two miracles happened, I could do the round trip in only 40 minutes, but that
hasn't happened yet.

It might not be so bad, but they keep sending him the announcements the DAY OF the
event.  "Oh, by the way, be at the fine arts center at 7:30 tonight, yes you have to be there."
Doesn't make for easy scheduling.  Yesterday, I drove him back to school at 6:30, only to
discover the thing he had to attend was cancelled.  "I didn't have your cell phone number."
(Son points to person sitting next to speaker) "HE has it!"

The every day going to class and coming home is not too bad.  I mean, I've planned for
that, and I expect it.  But all these extras are killing me.  First of all, each round trip (14
miles) is a whole gallon of gas in the van, in heavy traffic conditions.  I might as well be
stuffing the money directly into the tank and setting fire to it.

Secondly, by the time I get him home from some of these after-school meetings and what-
not, it's nearly 11:00pm.  That means any daily chores I normally do in the evening, which
can't be done any other time of day (why bother cleaning the kitchen in the morning before
anyone has eaten? It's GOT to be cleaned right before bed if it's going to stay clean over
night) have to wait until after we get home.  So I'm getting to bed much later than I planned.
I really don't PLAN to be up until 3 in the morning, I swear!  Then to have to be up again at
8 - day after day after day... it's wearing on me.

This morning I had terrible trouble getting to sleep.  I finally fell asleep about 3:30am.  At
4:45, my husband woke me up to roll up the awning, which was about to be ripped off the
house by the high winds.  He had it all wonky and kinked up, and couldn't figure out what
he'd done wrong.  <sigh>  I've only shown him how to do it about a million times, but he's
not very good with three dimentional thinking.  So about 5:15, I got back to bed, only to
have the alarm go off at 8 so I could take HIS car into the shop for a tune up and 90K mile
check up.

I'm so very, very tired.  SO very tired.  But I can't seem to get my circadian clock to reset to
morning times so I can get to sleep before midnight.

Can you die from not enough sleep?

I'll let you know...

--
Laura