TheBanyanTree: a dream realized.....

Sachet MountainWhisper at att.net
Tue Oct 12 19:22:50 PDT 2010

I've been doing things in increments.

First I saved up for my chaps. Don't ask me why it was important that I
get them first.....but somehow they symbolized more than any other piece
of gear..... that I was truly serious about making this particular dream
become reality.

Got a great deal on them, too; which is of paramount importance. And I
bought them with money I earned from selling some of my college
textbooks. So it's not coming from the family budget. That's very
important, too. I got chaps instead of pants because that way I can just
remove them when I get to work and be all set. Plus, they look & feel so
badass. <g>

Hmmmm wait, *first* I had a friend take me out on his bike to teach me
the basics, so I would know if I was too stupid to be let loose on the
road or not. And I did very well even with his 6'3" 220 lb.'s behind me
adding a weight differential that he kept reassuring me was making it
harder for me to steer. I refused to ride his bike on my own. What if I
tipped it over and damaged it?!?!? But it did confirm that I did very
much want to get my own bike.

Sooooo....then I got my motorcycle permit. Which is so stupidly
backwards. They let you loose on the road on a bike with absolutely no
experience with the permit for up to 18 months, THEN you have to take
the riding test to get your license. Why not require the riding part of
the test FIRST?!?! Geez. It's such a crazy set-up.

So anyway, next came the helmet. That had to be very special. I wanted
it to be feminine, but not too girly. My first boyfriend from high
school, with whom I am still friends, describes it as: "Attitude...with
a feminine streak. Perfect for you!". His comment made me smile, because
that was my goal. And safety. Always with the safety or my brother (the
Critical Care paramedic) will kill me for free. ;-)
http://tinyurl.com/293oyld

The first weekend in October I subjected myself to 2.5 days of intense
physical, emotional and psychological stress as I took the Motorcycle
Safety Foundation course and got my certification. Twelve hour days that
wore us all out, but soooooo worth it.
http://online2.msf-usa.org/msf/Default.aspx
Actually, the best part about the course is that now I know how much I
don't know and will be more cautious.

The Monday following the course, I went and got my license.

That's when I got serious about shopping for bikes. I took the advice
from my course instructors, a few of the classmates who had bought bikes
and my neighbor who is my motorcycle guru and went to Blue Ridge
Rider's. *With* a guy who knows bikes backwards and forwards. I am so
bad at haggling. I just don't get the reason for it, and it is indeed a
fine art. All I had to do was "try on" various bikes in my price range
and let him do the bargaining for me. This turned out to be a very good
thing because my first choice had some carburetor issues that I wouldn't
have known about if not for him testing it out for me. But we found one
that I liked a lot, met my criteria for size, handling and price, felt
great and met all his guy criteria. And he got me a great price!

Then, because Asheville traffic is totally insane he road it home for me
(an hour NW). In a thunder and lightning monsoon of a storm. On steep
twisty mountain roads that are fun when it's dry and sunny, but
treacherous in bad weather. I had such a tension headache by the time we
got home from worrying about him riding it in such bad weather since I
was hydroplaning even in my safe dry car. How would I explain to his
wife and kids that something had happened because he was so insanely
stubborn and insisted on riding it home even though I kept saying it
could stay there until the weather cleared up, even if it took a couple
of days?!??! I was ready to punch him by the time we got home. I still
may. His wife wants me to. <g>

So the big day is here and I am so excited I can barely stand it. And
it's raining so hard it took me 20 minutes to get home from the
neighbors garage (where my bike is parked until I figure out my parking
situation) and their garage is only a minute from my house, as the crow
flies. But I took their driveway down onto the road and then it started
raining so hard and it's so completely dark out I couldn't see my hand
in front of my face and I overshot my own driveway because I was trying
so hard to stay in the middle of the road so I wouldn't stumble into the
creek which is lots higher and rushing considerably faster than normal
due to all the stupid RAIN! When I could finally see *something* I noted
that the lighted windows I was seeing up the mountain were triangler in
shape and ours are rectangular, so THAT meant I was way down the road on
the curve and so then I had to carefully feel my way back up the road in
the pouring rain to find my own freakin' driveway. It was a bit freaky
there for awhile. No way on this planet was I going back to the
neighbors to explain that I couldn't find my way home. But ya know, it
would have been nice if one of the guys had thought to offer me a
freakin' flashlight! Of course, I usually always carry one, and they
probably assumed that I had one, but since I was so excited about my
bike I wasn't thinking clearly. Thass my excuse. <g>

And now it's supposed to rain all day tomorrow. And on Thursday it's
supposed to be very windy with gusts up to 35mph. I may get to ride this
week. <sigh>

But.

In the meantime, I get to learn how to change my own oil and sparkplugs,
etc. I want to know how to do all this stuff myself. It's my bike, my
responsibility and my dream. It's a pretty amazing thing when another
dream becomes reality.