TheBanyanTree: a Christmas tale

smack58 at nycap.rr.com smack58 at nycap.rr.com
Tue Nov 30 10:58:28 PST 2010

What a wonderful "tale"!!  I can just see the two of you doing this.  Hope Liz likes her gift.

Sharon
---- Julie Anna Teague <jateague at indiana.edu> wrote:
So, Sunday, in my ongoing efforts to simply enjoy the heck out of this
beautiful season of fun and family and gifting and baking and pine
boughs and twinkling lights that I love so much, my 20 year old son,
Andy, and I decided to go to this pottery painting place called The
Latest Glaze.  I'm sure they have something like it where ever you
live--you choose a piece of cast greenware, paint it, they fire it, and
it comes out in beautiful colors.  This is something we had not done
since Andy was ten years old.  We still have cups and bowls and plates
and all kinds of goofy things we made back then.  I can still see one
plate he painted when he was 9 or 10, which I pull out every
Christmas--funny snowmen and words around the edge in 10 year old
scrawls, "Let's have fun in the snow together!"  It was just something
fun and creative to do on a weeknight or Saturday afternoon, it was fun
time spent together, and you end up with a silly memento.  But you
know, eventually a boy turns 12 or 13 and wouldn't be caught dead with
his mother in a pottery painting place, not to mention that there are a
world of new things at that age to do and be interested in, and
painting pottery fell out of favor.

But Andy was gone for a few days--he and his girlfriend Liz took a trip
to St. Louis after Thanksgiving--and so when he got home on Sunday he
asked me if I wanted to do something together.  Heck yes, there won't
be enough days in this lifetime that I get to spend with that boy.  We
have a loving relationship that is one of the brightest lights and
biggest blessings in my life. And we always have a pretty good time
hanging out. Somehow the pottery place popped into my head and I asked
him if he was game to paint something together for Liz for Christmas.
He thought she would think it was stupid, since she's a ceramics major
at IU, but I assured him he could tell her it was totally my
hair-brained idea.  So then he got into it.  He tells me they've been
cooking these "one pan" meals and putting it all into one big bowl that
they then both eat out of.  Gag....er....I mean...how sweet ;)  I'm
picturing Lady and the Tramp.  Ok, it was pretty cute of him to tell me
that, so we decided to paint a really big, colorful bowl and paint
noodles on the inside. Two of the noodles curl up one side of the bowl
and form a heart.  (My idea, but he did approve.)  It was really quite
cute.  And the whole time there, we were singing Christmas songs with
the radio, talking, joking, and just having the best time ever.

When we got home the boy said, "Thanks for doing that with me mom.
That was fun."  And thus, my friends, this Grinch's small heart grew
three sizes that day.

Julie