TheBanyanTree: A TOMATO STORY

Julie Anna Teague jateague at indiana.edu
Mon Nov 1 07:11:47 PDT 2010

That's a great story.  Thanks for sharing.  My mom was big on table
manners, too.  I can still hear her telling my brother, at every single
meal, "CHEW WITH YOUR MOUTH CLOSED!"  He still eats with his mouth open
at every family meal.  I try to be tolerant.  Maybe it's his sinuses, I
tell myself.  He has Rheumatoid Arthritis, he's got enough to worry
about, I think, concentrating on peaceful family relations.  I try not
to look.  My husband, bless his heart, civilized as he is in other
ways, holds his fork or spoon in an overhand grip like a monkey or a
little kid which forces his elbow up and makes it look like he's
literally shoveling the food into his mouth.  Apparently his mother,
civilized as she is in other ways, never told him to hold his fork
properly.  This small thing drives me to complete distraction and I'm
afraid that, civilized as I am in other ways, I allow my distaste to
register on my face sometimes when we are at a nice restaurant.  I told
him once that it makes the wrong impression on people who have been
brought up to focus on table manners.  This small thing makes him
appear uncouth when he is not.  I just can't HELP it.  These things
were absolutely drilled into my head every night at dinner.

Oh, and the other story yours reminded me of:  Our grandparents grew
vegetables and of course had a big plot of corn.  So we could eat as
much corn as we wanted in the summer.  My brother and I had a contest
one time, and not to be outdone by the other, we finally called a truce
at twelve ears of corn each.  Plus we had to eat the rest of our
dinner, of course. I still don't know how we managed except that we
were worm-ridden little urchins who were perpetually hungry.

Quoting smack58 at nycap.rr.com: