TheBanyanTree: Couples

NancyIee at aol.com NancyIee at aol.com
Mon Jun 21 09:08:35 PDT 2010

Margaret,

Frank is not Ray, but you already know that.  Life will be different  with
Frank, than Ray, but you already know that. Yet, you will always be you,
and you know that, too. Perhaps you will be a bit different; different
adventures, different memories, but just as worthwhile and as fulfilling.

I, too, watch old couples. There are more here in FL than in MN
(percentagewise) and most are retired and in the ease of their lives. I see them  in
restaurants and on the beach, and in the shell shops, buying stuff to send
back "home". You know how they always say after a long time, people look like
 their dogs?  Well it is even more true of old couples. Maybe 'she' will
even have a slight mustache, and 'he' the sagging profile, as they toddle
along,  not even aware they are old. That's the best part, I think; they enjoy
their  time together the way they always did, and they are not even aware of
wrinkles  and the aching bones and thinning hair.

You know, I honestly believe my ex and I had to be apart, so that we could
individually exorcise whatever it was that made us split. We are better
friends  now than when we were a couple, and at some point I can see us still
together,  but knowing what's important and what's not. We may never remarry,
but we can go  to a restaurant, to the beach, or to the shell shop, and buy
stuff to send  home.

NancyLee