TheBanyanTree: The lowly cent symbol

Roger Pye pyewood at pcug.org.au
Thu Jun 17 15:25:28 PDT 2010

Russ,

For nine years until three months ago I did 90% of our fortnightly basic
shopping at one of the two 'large' supermarkets at a shopping centre
(read 'small mall') about 5 kms away and the remainder at a
'convenience' supermarket at out local shops. My budget for all that
time was $100 - which isn't a real lot but there are only two of us
humans plus our cat/dog family; then again I don't get a real lot either
- and for about six years I stayed comfortably within it. Then
inexorably the total spent crept up and up.

Four months ago after a 15 month 'refurbishment' which had occurred with
marginal inconvenience to shoppers, the local semi-independent
supermarket transmogrified into a 'large' one. I spent a month studying
prices then I switched my shopping to it. Since then I have been saving
$20 a fortnight - 'saving' in this case usually meaning spending it on
other things outside the basic food list.

There are other differences, however, of much more importance than mere
dollars and cents. For a start some of the staff have been there for all
those nine years and when they and others say "Hi, How are you today?" I
know they mean it. The check out people don't just toss items into bags,
they pack them neatly. They ask (me) if they're too heavy - one would
think I was in my dotage instead of only 71 years old :) - but I
appreciate the thought.

I know where you're coming from, but. The lowly cent symbol has never
appeared on an Australan keyboard or a penny symbol on an English one.
Not even before pooter keyboards, you know those things we called
typewriters. Our one and two cent pieces went out of fashion and
circulation about 20 years ago. We still have the 5 cent piece but I
fear its days are numbered - the poker machines have only taken dollar
coins or higher denomination notes for a long time.

Progress it's called. Next year or the year after cheques will cease to
be legal tender here. I dread the day. We'll all be back to writing them
on cowhide - probably still walking!!

cheers

Roger