TheBanyanTree: How to ReInvent Your Life in Twelve Weeks of Summer: a work of fiction

Roger Pye pyewood at pcug.org.au
Wed Jun 16 22:25:56 PDT 2010

And THAT was only Week One fer christ's sake!!!

I always wanted to be a writer. I mean that. From the time I was at
grammar school in England and discovered I liked languages (french and
english, how the words roll off the tongue) I wanted to be a writer. And
I tried, people, did I ever try, I forget how many hours I sat in front
of a typewriter with an empty blank sheet in it waiting for inspiration
to strike, waiting for those first magical throwaway words of magic
which would turn into a best seller. You should try sitting on a rock on
a sandy beach in the fiery Aden sun (Yemen now) with a portable
typewriter on another rock searching for magic strong enough to strike
the keys all by itself because there sure wasn't any in my fingers.

Then one day a miracle did happen though I didn't realise it at the time
- in fact didn't for over a decade. It was long after the Middle East
episode and I was visiting England for the first time since emigrating
to Australia when my eldest sister handed me a pile of papers and said
"Here's stuff about our family history, why don't you have a shot at
collating it all, see what you come up with."

Back home I skimmed through it, decided there wasn't really enough there
to make anything interesting out of it, shoved it in a drawer and forgot
all about it. Fast forward fifteen years to a time when I was caretaking
a beef farm in the southern tablelands - 'caretaking' being a euphemism
for being stony broke and homeless but fortunate enough to have a friend
whose partner leased the property. Most of the time I had nothing to do
so I pulled the papers out of their box, dusted them off and began the
collation. It was more interesting than I'd thought and gradually I
began to put all the data into some sort of order. Then as luck would
have it - or the traumas of various sorts I had been going through for
some years - I experienced an expansion of consciousness. My family who
lived quite a distance away called it a nervous breakdown, but. I was
right, of course.

The first note of the expansion was an emotional explosion in a theatre
in Canberra. Maybe I should say 'the' theatre there being only one in
1995 and the only people aware of my problem were the two people sitting
on either side of me. The second note, notes really, were tears - they
began in the theatre and continued without cease for 40 days - how
biblical was THAT? And the third note also the one which caused,
continued to cause and still causes the most problems, particularly
about the years and years before it was sounded, was loss of memory.
Total for about 24 hours, 90% for a few days - now it's around 5-10%.

10am the morning after the expansion (I won't tell you how I found my
way home, it's another story) I found the family history I had finished
but a few days before. The 'Pyes of the Emmetts 1599-1993'. It gave me a
few clues as to who I was which was most acceptable but the preface or
introduction was so banal as to be eminently boring. I thought surely to
God I could do better than that, turned over to a new screenpage and
began . . . .

to be continued

roger