TheBanyanTree: Who says critters don't talk to each other?

Roger Pye pyewood at pcug.org.au
Mon Jun 7 20:00:50 PDT 2010

Yes, Tom, I wish I had your exquisite turn of phrase. But here's a thing
which has little to do with art as such, much more to do with
communication (as with the poster in your photo).

We have in our family two humans, one dog (Miss Ruby, Yorkshire
Terrier), four cats (Woodstock, ginger & white, Caspar, black, Merlin,
black/white tabby, Miss Midgley, pure tabby with the fluffiest softest
fur I have ever seen and felt) and four hens (all Isa Browns - Lilac
(oldest & retired), Clover (semi-retired), Petunia and Crumpet (the
egg-layers - one each a day regular as clockwork). In terms of animal
dynamics Woodstock is the boss, Caspar can be and often is a a crabby
individual, Merlin (18 mths old) and Midge (12 mths) are almost
inseparable and Lilac tends to be a loner.

Ruby and the chooks have the run of the back yard during the day. At
night she is in the house and the hens are in their tractor coop. The
cats do not 'free range' at all - they have their own cage (the size of
a small room) attached to the back of the house and the run of the rest
of our home during the day - at night Woodstock, Merlin and Midge sleep
in the laundry, Caspar prowls around inside and Ruby sleeps in our bedroom.

Of course there are other pets around here besides ours. Two cats live
over the back fence, one of them is ginger (Leo) and spends a fair
amount of time in our garden eyeing off the chooks. Not that he'd ever
be stupid enough to take one on - he knows the others would be all over
him. There is also a black and white cat which hunts and gathers around
the neighbourhood - one next door neighbour feeds him fish (she swears
he won't eat anything else), from another he gets raw meat (ditto), from
another he gets leftovers and so on. From us he gets a stroke now and
then. However, both would happily take a newly laid egg if they got the
chance - and Petunia lays hers in the ivy which rambles over a side
fence by a corner of the house.

I have lost count of the number of times Ruby has been fast asleep on
the settee in the living room at the front of the house then suddenly
arrived at the door to the back deck breathing fast, tail wagging, and
raced out when I open it, straight down to the back corner of the
garden. Exit Leo over the fence hightailing it to safety. How Ruby knew
he was there puzzled me for months until one day I realised that
whenever it happened there was at least one cat in the cage!

Recently we've had a change - both yesterday and today we had the same
scenario except for one thing - there were NO cats in the cage. Instead
there were two chooks lined up in front of where Petunia lays hers and
they didn't move away until Leo had gone.

Who says critters don't talk to each other!

roger