TheBanyanTree: Early Summer wonderings

Roger Pye pyewood at pcug.org.au
Mon Jun 7 19:25:32 PDT 2010

Obviously thought you were pretty quick yourself and needed something to
match. The MGA was a high powered sports car produced by British Motor
Corporation from 1955 to 1962 so yours must be older than you imply.
'High powered' for the period, that is. It was then replaced by the MGB,
the production run of which continued until 1980. By then BMC had become
British Leyland.

My first car which I bought in 1961 in the Middle East (Aden, then a
British colony now part of South Yemen) was an Austin Healey Sprite Mk
II. The 'bugeye' sprite was Mk I. The Mk II was manufactured by BMC in
the same factory as the MGA then MGB. Looking back it was a lovely car
to handle and speedy enough for me, or so I thought being a mere slip of
a lad of 21 years. I was in the RAF then, just married to she who is the
mother of my children and when we went back to England in 1963 it was
with our very recently born eldest son. We discovered very rapidly that
a two-seater sports car does not fit two adults and a growing child and
so I waved goodbye to fast cars and traded the Sprite in on a secondhand
Wolseley 1500 four-seater sedan with walnut fascia, leather seats and
other modcons. Sheer luxury!

roger