TheBanyanTree: Early Summer wonderings

NancyIee at aol.com NancyIee at aol.com
Sat Jun 5 22:02:08 PDT 2010

It's hot here when I get up, and sweltering by ten. What a day for the AC
to go out in the vehicle. The same vehicle that has inoperable "power"
windows.  Working out in the sun is like standing at the opening of a blast
furnace.   Who says we don't have the change of seasons here. There are a few
hours of  "Winter," a day or two of Fall, a moment of Spring, and Summer.  But
. . .  .but, the blackberries are ripening along all the roadways, and who
can pass up  a pail of blackberries for breakfast or over ice cream?  But,
superhot or  not, I go out to mow, walk the dogs, putz in the garden, stroll
to the end of  the driveway for the mail, and, kayaking. There's nothing
better than drifting  on a river, on the shady side, watching manatees and
egrets?

The mornings, though. The mornings are cool, misty, silent; well, except
for the mockingbirds. I'm a morning person, and go out just after dawn to
tend  the horses. My housemate, recently back from the hospital, sleeps late,
and I  take my morning coffee and come grapes, or blackberries if there are
any left,  and go outside. Housemate is crabby, anyway, and my outside time
reestablishes  my patience. Never my strong suit.

I will bathe the dogs today, and change the papers in the cockatoo cage. If
 the rains hold off, I may mow the lawn, or at least one gas tankful. I try
to  keep three or four acres mowed. It's good therapy.

In the evening I'll perhaps meet with friends, or bite the bullet and get
back to the story that is a bit stuck. I usually let my characters tell it,
but  they seem on vacation this week. Or, perhaps I'll work a little on the
big  painting I started. It's too huge for this time of year; the paint is
so slow in  drying. But, that's okay, since oils always forgive and let me
mess around with  form and color for a week or more before it's too dry to do
that.

And, I must give some time to try to make out why a certain someone  bought
me an MGA. 'Tis a mystery.

NancyLee