TheBanyanTree: evening

Julie Anna Teague jateague at indiana.edu
Sat Jul 10 20:18:54 PDT 2010

Tonight we had a wonderful family outing to a lavender farm north of
us--my mom and stepdad, husband, son and son's girlfriend. Great
singer-songwriter, beautiful grounds, scent of lavender in the air,
picnic dinner on blankets, heirloom tomatoes and basil from the garden,
a peach pie made with the peaches from our own peach tree. Evening was
setting in as we lingered, drinking my stepdad's homemade wine--a nice
dry, white Muscat. The shade of the pines deepened, the air cooled, and
we sat on our blankets, laughing, catching up, enjoying our time
together. As husband and I drove home, feeling happy and connected to
the people who love us, a spectacular sunset was unfolding over the
rolling hills. Windows down, fireflies, sky going pink, orange, purple.
Midwestern midsummer's evening. This is why, I think, exactly why I am
so deeply connected to this place. It's not a place everyone would want
to live. It takes someone who can see beauty in a sunset over
round-topped grain silos, in the particular spicy scent of a field of
sweet corn, in the peace of a slow, wide river, in a tree heavy
burdened with rosy-skinned peaches. It takes, maybe, deep connections
to family and a childhood spent smelling these smells and catching
fireflies in these sunsets. I crave different places myself sometimes.
I crave mountains and thundering rivers with white water. I crave
ancient rock faces and sea breezes. But evenings like this, a sense of
place passes over me. A sense of peace passes over me. I am happy right
here, right now, on this amazing Indiana summer evening.

Julie