TheBanyanTree: Frozen in Water

nancyiee at aol.com nancyiee at aol.com
Sat Jan 23 22:13:57 PST 2010

good for you, running in the Winter marathon. I don't run any more, the old
 knees don't take the pounding.

I miss going to the St Paul Winter Carnival. In days past, I was one of the
 car racers on Phalen. It was a seven-race series, doncha know, Winnipeg,
Duluth,  Thunder Bay, some place in Wisconsin, Brainerd, Prior Lake, and the
climax at St  Paul. A short season, beginning with the first location with
twelve inches of  ice, and ending when the motor home fell through. I don't
think they run on  Phalen any more, too hard to control the crowd.  One year
they had hot air  balloons taking off from that location. At season's end,
there was a big banquet  with the season awards. I won my class one year, I
remember. A HUGE feat, since  at that time I was the only woman competing. My
first car was an Austin Mini  Cooper, a real one, not a modern type.  My
second car was a Saab sonett.  (since the early minis did not meet the crash
tests of that era, my car was  built in Thunder Bay by a troupe of mad
Finlanders, and came to the States in  cartons (car parts)  Ah, those were the
days.