TheBanyanTree: Off on a New Adventure

Jim Miller jim at maze.cc
Sun Jan 10 21:39:12 PST 2010

Chris,

I like your attitude; "A Grand New Adventure". You may have caught from my
writings regarding my own health over the past 14 years that I've always
seen challenges as new adventure. I've always recovered rapidly and
attending nurses have frequently told me that it's because of my attitude.
Life is great. Some day we will die, but not today. Too much to do.

Chris, if you consider yourself an IV virgin, then surely I must be an IV
slut. With that much experience, perhaps I can offer you a couple of
thoughts.

Take advantage of your time with new people. Occasionally you may get a sour
nurse, but overall, they are incredible and caring. Every nurse I had was
rooting as hard for my success and recovery as I was. Regarding IVs, they
can't kill you inserting them. They can hit, miss, get on the wrong side of
a valve so your vein blows up like a balloon, or call someone else. No big
deal, eventually it gets done. Sometimes they'll tell you how plump and ripe
your vein is and other times they may tell you that you're dehydrated and
the vein is hard to find or hit. No big deal. I loved meeting the IV
therapists and getting to know them. Great opportunity in your new
adventure. Any time that I'm in the hospital (way too many) I'm in street
clothes and pajamas as soon as the doctor will let me out of bed. Dump the
hospital gown, you'll feel better immediately. No one has ever told me I
couldn't so I just do it.

I've had about 10 operations in the last ten years and unless it was
outpatient surgery, 6 to 8 weeks was typical 'feel normal' recovery time. I
always expect to be whole the day after tomorrow and act like it. Then I'm
surprised every time it isn't quite that quick. I've handled a lot of
things, but can't relate to chemo, so that may treat you a bit differently.
By the way, I planned the Grand Canyon hike while I was still in the
hospital after my heart transplant. Keep the bike tour on the calendar. You
will be there.

Chris, I believe that life throws these things at us to build character. I
don't know that yours needs improving, but I think that with your attitude,
you will take much positive away. I wish you luck and success. I can recall
all the worldwide well wishes and constant pray for me from this group of
people during my adventures. What a fantastic network of undergirding and
support we're blessed with in The Tree. I will be praying also.

Jim Miller