TheBanyanTree: I'm Sorry

Julie Anna Teague jateague at indiana.edu
Sun Feb 21 11:47:32 PST 2010

Quoting "Margaret R. Kramer" <margaretkramer at comcast.net>:

> I couldn’t figure out why the networks carried Tiger Woods’ apology
> yesterday.  He’s not the President of the United States, he’s a pro golfer.
> He’s done what some men have done before him, cheated on his wife.  Yes,
> he’s famous and rich, but why the TV apology?  The only person he needs to
> apologize to is his wife, and how he does it and whether or not she accepts
> it is none of my business.

Those were my exact words just yesterday.  I don't care if he's sorry.
He doesn't need to apologize to me.  He needs to apologize to his wife
and his kids, in private.  I was talking about this big event, not
because I cared, but because my 16 year old son came home from school
on Friday and said they'd got their work done early in Chemistry class,
so the teacher had let them watch the Tiger Wood's apology.  I said,
"You're joking, right?"  Nope, they really watched it, and he'd thought
it had been newsworthy and important.  He could not understand why I
thought it was "totally inappropriate", because, as son number two told
me, it's not like high schoolers don't know about sex and what Tiger
Woods did.  I assured him that that was not the problem, that the whole
thing just made me sick because it's a private matter.  And with my
son's school having just missed four days due to snow in the last two
weeks, and having had to announce this week that they are eliminating
school librarians, art and music programs, the Bradford Woods outdoor
experience program, and slashing teachers due to budget cuts, surely,
SURELY, they could spend the time they do have doing something more
constructive than watching some ass who has made a fool of himself and
his wife with a bunch of basically high paid call girls apologize to
the American people as if we think he's important.  And worse, at the
bottom of it, is most likely the desire to rebuild his very lucrative
public image.

Oh, did I say all that.  Oh my.  I sort of blacked out there for a
minute.  Bless my heart. ;)

Julie