TheBanyanTree: this is what addiction is like

Julie Anna Teague jateague at indiana.edu
Mon Apr 5 17:32:49 PDT 2010

Quoting Laura <wolfljsh at gmail.com>:

> I suppose if you must be addicted to something, running is a good
> thing.  Unlike myself, who
> is addicted to sugar, and has a whole store full of Easter candy at
> 75% off, just
> SCREAMING my name.

I sometimes have a problem with sugar if it's right there in front of
me, so I try not to have it in front of me.  Darling husband got me a
bag of one of my favorite candies for Easter--malted milk chocolate
eggs with the candy coating.  They are so pretty, like robin's eggs.
The malt makes them sort of melt in your mouth.  I ate several of them
and then vowed to get rid of the rest of the bag as soon as he wasn't
looking, along with the peeps he also got me.  I can always pass on
peeps except as a fun microwave experiment: mega peep explosion.  I
also had a couple of Cadbury orange cream eggs, and I just didn't want
to go there.  Not after Easter celebration dinners two days in a row,
which was enough.  Enough, I say.  This morning I put all the candy in
a bag and thought I'd take it to work.  Nope, not safe.  I could still
get to it at work if I had a weak moment.  And many of my weak moments
come in the long hours of the afternoon at work.  So when I went into
the bagel shop to get a cup of coffee this morning, I took the bag of
candy with me and asked the skinny teenager dude behind the counter if
he wanted it.  He looked in the bag and said, "Cadbury eggs??  Heck
yeah!"  College kid far from home, no doubt.  He looked like he could
use a little treat.  Everyone's happy.

Julie