TheBanyanTree: Killer Dogs, another tale

NancyIee at aol.com NancyIee at aol.com
Mon Apr 19 05:05:42 PDT 2010

My neighbor has three Pit Bulls.  They live on several acres, and  raise
Miniature horses, a hog every now and then (when the man of the house  catches
one of the feral wild hoglets) and a beef every other year, or when the
freezer is empty.  This Spring, they were blessed with three tiny Miniature
horse foals, which are no bigger than a fox terrier when newborn. The adults
are  about three feet tall, or less, usually less. I have one that is 28
inches.  Their Pit Bulls are big, heavy-set, menacing to look at. They are also
porch  ornaments, coming out to greet you when you arrive, following you as
you go  about their territory, nudging you to pet them, lest you forget
their presence.  Lazy, sleep-in-the-sun dogs, jokes to the reputation of the
breed.

There are also other creatures sharing our landscape, besides the wild
hogs. There are eagles, hawks, foxes and coyotes, armadillos and possums,
bunnies, an occasional bobcat, and rarely, because they are on the verge of
extinction, a Florida Panther, rarest of the rare.

My neighbor was in a panic one mid-evening. "Something is at the horses!!"
went out her cry. They had been out for a short time, and some carnivore
had  decided little horses might be dinner. We dashed over. One of her foals
and been  mauled, but would survive. The stallion, gallant little king, had a
nasty neck  slash that needed many stitches.

The Three Pit Bulls are also injured, two so badly they had to be put down.
 BUT, at the core of it all, we pieced together that the "creature" had
stalked  the horses. The Pit Bulls had defended them. The vet who came out and
tended all  checked the remaining mayhem, fur, blood, etc, and determined
the invading  creature had been a panther. The dogs had fought to their death
to repel the  enemy, had driven it off without a fatality to the horses, had
given their all  in defense of "their" territory.

Now we have a Pit-Bull-mauled panther out there, probably mad as heck,
sore, and still hungry.  I am seriously thinking of getting a Pit puppy of
that particular bloodline for my own place. Just in case one day I need such a
defender. There are several out there, as other neighbors all have one or
two  from that extended Pit Bull family.

It's all in the raising.  You want a tough dog, you will get a tough  dog.
You want a family pet who will adore all yet defend you to the death,  you
will get one.