TheBanyanTree: Contact

Tom Smith deserthiker2000 at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 16 12:41:04 PDT 2010

The local news media announced a day ahead that Michelle
Obama's was going to visit a nearby community garden.  I
wondered how this turn of events would affect my life..
would streets be blocked off?  Would my blue-collar
neighborhood be the setting of some historic event?  I
truly hoped not.

The acre-or so garden a year ago was surrounded by a 6' high
chain link fence.  Motorists and pedestrians along a fairly
busy adjacent street could see a wide variety of crops grow.  I
was amazed at how quickly corn stalks became taller than the
average human.  There were two plastic-covered hothouses.
Almost always somebody was watering or tilling, setting stakes,
weeding, or planting.  Just days ago a bamboo curtain was
attached to the chain link perimeter fence, blocking the view.

Returning home with a trunk full of groceries, I passed by the
community garden.  Crowds lined the side of the street opposite
the garden and police cars, parking enforcement skooters, and a
black sedan with darkly tinted windows were parked the entire
length of the community garden side of the street.  Police at
the intersections prevented pedestrians from walking on the
garden side of the street.

I grabbed the new camera I had just bought, and a 100mm
telephoto/zoom lens and walked the 2 blocks from where I live
to see whatever I would be allowed to see.  The majority of the
folks gathered there had cameras also, and most of those were
shirt-pocket size. I found a nice high spot with a gap between
trees allowing a good view of the garden.  A man in a suit,
stood inside the garden and looked out in my direction.  He
didn't seem extraordinarly interested in me.  I zoomed in on
him, lightly touched the shutter button, enjoyed the thrill of
seeing the autofocus bring his features into sharp detail, and
clicked off a shot.  He looked at me.  I looked at him.  He
looked toward something to his left, then maintained kind of a
sweeping vigilance.  Nobody told me to move.

A black man, dressed in a red polo shirt, wearing wraparound
sunglasses with brown lenses, appeared at my side.  "I'm
surprised they let anyone stay here." he said.  "You have a
clear shot."  "I don't like to think like a sniper." I said,
and continued, "Michelle started a victory garden at the White
House.  That's a great idea."

Two teachers from a nearby elementary school joined us.  We
discussed topics ranging from ISO settings and Michelle's
wardrobe to the community newsletter, while waiting for the
First Lady to show up.  There is something truly wonderful
about chatting with strangers.

The sound of sirens grew louder behind us.  A motorcade led by
police on motorcycles with flashing lights passed by on our
right, made a left turn at the far end of the garden, then
another left turn and moved in our direction for about half a
block and stopped.  We all looked for a glimpse of Michelle.

"What's she wearing?"

"She just went into that white tent."

"She lives in a white house."

"There she is!"

"I got her waving!"

"I got a hug!"

"Michelle!" could be heard from the crowd across the street.
Michelle waved and the crowd cheered.

Photos at:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/9482738@N07/4526605172/