TheBanyanTree: Nighttime Sounds

redclay redd_clay at bellsouth.net
Wed Sep 9 22:01:02 PDT 2009

On Wednesday 09 September 2009 22:20:17 Dale M. Parish wrote:
> On Sep 9, 2009, at 1:21 AM, redclay wrote:
> > I imagine a huge owl diving out of the
> > blackness of the sweetgum's limbs, and, with a whoosh of air passing
> > rapidly
> > over the owl's wings
>
> That's one of the true efficiencies of an owl's wing-- they make no
> sound when they 'swoop' down-- until their wings, talons or body come
> in contact with you, you hear absolutely nothing!  I'd experienced
> this only once as a kid when we were blowing a rabbit call trying to
> call up a fox, but read about it years later-- sometime in the '80s--
> and could verify.  Owls make no whosh, but when they contact you by
> mistake, it's hard to imagine that you might scare them as much as
> they instantaneously scared them. ;-)
>
> Hugs,
> Dale
> --

Yikes!  That's a durn important point,  Dale.  My story had quite a flaw in
it.  Thanks for pointing it out.  If I ever edit it or share it again it I
will make sure to have that part correct.

Virtually silent flight -- another amazing thing about them (and I trust that
Tom gets the chance to personally witness that wonder should he an owl move
into the owlhouse he built)

   bd
    ----