TheBanyanTree: Frost on the Pumpkin

NancyIee at aol.com NancyIee at aol.com
Mon Oct 19 05:03:46 PDT 2009

No Frost on the pumpkin here, but it has turned chilly all the same.   From
90-something, I woke this morning to 67 (in the house, 50 something
outside).  The dogs woke me as usual, but instead of running toward the  door,
they wanted in bed with me to warm up. I indulged a minute or two before  the
morning jaunt. It's chilly. And, the horses are already getting their fuzzy
winter coats.

I finally got mowing with intent yesterday.  Usually, in the heat, I  mow
until I am melted.  Yesterday I even got the far edges trimmed back,  the
head-high weeds chopped and flung, and I managed to miss the hose.   There is
still more to do. There is ALWAYS more to do, for I try to keep the  three or
four acres around the house mowed, as well as along the driveway and a  bit
up and down the shoulder of the road.

Local spots are having their Fall festivals. We only stock a pile of
pumpkins along with all the other seasonal produce. The new building is nearly
finished.  We still move out of our little shack (which was the original
U-pick checkout shed years ago) by Thanksgiving. The new building in enclosed
and under A/C, and in time, there will be a winery at the end. 200-something
 feet of enclosed produce shopping and, finally, bathrooms.  There are
restrooms now, but they are way in the back of the property, and if you really
have to go, you'll never get there in time.

The strawberries are planted, and already I spot tiny berries coming.
Turnip greens and collards, beans, peas, several kinds of lettuces and salad
veggies, tomatoes by the ton, chard, squashes, and even sweet corn in the
stackers are all coming up and looking lush.  The u-pick season will be a
bounty of good things.
You up north are winding down your gardens. We are just beginning.

NancyLee