TheBanyanTree: Winners

Jim Miller jim at maze.cc
Wed Nov 18 20:52:32 PST 2009

Tom is very generous with his compliments. I do however confess to being an
optimist. In fact sometimes, I swear, I can't even see the bottom of the
glass.

We certainly did have an exceptional time together. We found that we enjoy
many similar things and that we may not agree on some things. The
conversation was always lively and animated, yet completely comfortable and
refreshing. We discovered that we each take pleasure in repairing broken
items to new usefulness, and secretly covet the many tools we have
accumulated.

Tom is quite knowledgeable of good literature and I envy his ability to
recall much of what he has read. We certainly did have fun recalling the
many friends we've met and the experiences we had on The Spoon and The
Banyan Tree. We talked about the birthday parties and kissing booths. We
mused about Wes Modes and the stories. I was just in Santa Cruz and if I had
realized Wes was there, I would have tried to find him. We remembered
friends who are gone and wonder about those still hiding in the leaves.

Before leaving Tom showed me around his yard and I ate a mango fresh from
the tree; a first for me; we don't have citrus tree up north. He showed me
his latest project; a radio controlled bird of prey aircraft; controlled by
wing feathers. How very impressive and beautiful. I'd love to be there when
he flies it.

This is my third experience meeting a Spoon/Banyan Tree friends in person.
The first was Dee Churchill and a couple of years ago, my son and I had
dinner with Monique and Andrew, and now I can add Tom and Barbara to that
list. These meetings have been very rewarding and I often think that I would
like to simply travel and meet you all.

If you want to see Tom and me together, follow the link.
http://picasaweb.google.com/2ndheart

Thank you Tom. It was a wonderful time; every minute.

Jim Miller